Over the past few years, the demand for sustainable events has been steadily increasing. Planning more sustainable events isn’t just about doing the right thing: it’s about doing the right thing for your company and creating awareness of the importance and responsibility of maintaining this planet for future generations. For the event industry this means planning and delivering events with an environmentally conscious lens, taking into consideration key areas of event planning where they can actually make a difference. Here are 3 key things to consider when planning a successful sustainability event:
Choosing the right venue can help you reduce your events energy consumption, waste, and overall contribution to emissions. When considering a venue for your event look out for the following things:
- Energy efficient features. Find venues that use features such as LED lights, low-flow toilets and faucets, the use of a renewable energy source like Bullfrog Power or LEED Certification (Leadership in energy and Environmental Design). Did you know that commercial and institutional buildings account for about 40% of the total energy consumption in Canada (1)? By choosing a building with more energy efficient features, you will reduce your events impact significantly!
- A proper waste disposal system. The typical conference attendee produces 1.89 kg of waste per day and about 1.16 kg of that will go directly to the landfill (2). Even if you plan to have the right bins with the right signage the venues system may not be able to accommodate and everything will end up in the landfill despite your efforts. To be safe, check with your contact and make sure they have recycling and composting for the most sustainable outcome.
- Accessible by sustainable transportation. By selecting a venue with access to public transit and bike facilities it will encourage attendees to come to your event by a more sustainable mode of transportation, helping you reduce emissions overall.
Check out this article by BlogTO for a list of green buildings in Toronto.
There are so many catering companies in Toronto that are finding new ways to cater (pun intended) to their clients who are asking for more sustainable services. When selecting a catering company, make sure you take into considering the following:
- Local food. On average most fruits and vegetables travel 3,000 km from farm to fork for Canadians (3). By choosing a catering company that sources their food locally you are not only helping to support the local economy but also reducing emissions from travel.
- Vegetarian meals. The production of meat produces an abundance of methane that escapes into the atmosphere. By finding a catering company that offers a variety of vegetarian and vegan meals, you can reduce your impact on the environment significantly. Extra added bonus if these meals are also catered using local food.
While decorations can tie an entire event together some event planners can get carried away with using single use décor. There are so many different ways you can decorate your event space without creating waste. Here are a few tips:
- Flowers. The cut flower industry has a huge impact on the environment with its high use of resources (water), and its transportation needs. To limit your impact, try ditching the real flowers and invest in a set of versatile fake flowers that can be used at any event. If you really want to have real flowers ensure they (a) are from a local source, and (b) will be composted at the end of the event.
Modern Concierge Tip: Try giving the floral arrangements away to guests at the end of the event as a cute takeaway gift that allows the florals to be reused instead of thrown away!
- Multi-use décor. Start to think outside the box when it comes to decorating an event space. Buy versatile décor that can be reused or repurposed for your events to reduce waste.
Modern Concierge is your dedicated concierge team that handles all of your lifestyle needs. From offering home concierge services to being a luxury travel agency and event company in Toronto, we give you access to the best lifestyle management available. If you’re ready to make life easier, contact us today!